How does the architectural design process work?
It's broken down into small steps.
- Talk – we meet up and you share your ideas, what you require, what you love and detail about the site for the build.
- Quote - from there we develop a quote, this provides you with an understanding of all the costs associated with your projects design.
- Detail - with an understanding of the potential costs we start to work through some more detail with you. Concept – now we’re ready to provide you with concept drawings based upon our discussions. Providing a basic layout, form, and materials for your proposal.
- Concept Development – using your feedback we take our drawings and start developing them further. Once again, we catch up and review this together. We give you time to take these away and to review and consider.At this time we also engage the services of a Quantity Surveyor to ensure a clear understanding of the potential build costs.
- Detailed Drawings & Building Consents - now we’re ready to confirm the design and work up the detailed architectural plans. At this time, we also prepare the paperwork to ensure the necessary Building Consents are received from your local council. We work closely with the building regulations governing projects and structural engineers during this phase.
- Building – we’re ready for the build. From here we tailor our service to your requirements. We are happy to leave our detailed plans with you and your building contractors to bring to life. Or if you require, we can continue our involvement and work with your contractors to help ensure your vision is achieved.
What sort of fees and costs can I expect?
It’s difficult to provide a detailed overview of costs via a website because costing is complicated and depends upon each client’s individual requirements, what the site requires and what consents are needed. However, in general terms our fees will be between 5% and 9% of the total cost of the build. All our fees are clearly established and communicated prior to us starting. We undertake to keep you updated about our fees and any fees from consultants such as structural engineers or councils.
Are we insured?
Yes, we have Professional Indemnity Insurance and we are happy to supply a certificate of proof. Just ask us.
Are we qualified?
Will Lewis holds Diploma in Architectural Technology from Otago Polytechnic, and studied Architecture at The University of Auckland qualifying with a Bachelor of Architecture (Hons). Since graduating Will worked in the construction and architecture industry for over a decade before forming Lewis Architecture. Lewis Architecture holds a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) practicing licence, and we are also Professional Members of Architectural Designers New Zealand (ADNZ).
How long does the design process take?
From the time we initially take a design brief it will take between six and twelve months to resolve the design, and receive the necessary consents. The timeframe varies depending upon the project and what is required. For example, a requirement to supply geotechnical reports or reports from structural engineers will extend the time to complete the design process.
What do I have to do?
Lewis Architecture is an end-to-end architectural design service. We make the design process simple for you by taking care of all the paperwork, managing the detail, and dealing with other consultants. We’re the specialists and we use our knowledge of building regulations and our networks with the best consultants and builders to manage your design process – taking the stress away and allowing you to enjoy the process. We act as the ‘lead’ consultant and manage the entire design process on your behalf.
Do I need to have an idea before we come to you?
It’s always good to at least have an understanding of the basics – do you require two bedrooms or more, how many bathrooms, should the living areas all be open plan or will you require a separate living room? What form and style of building do you want ? With these parameters decided our team can then carve out a concept for your proposal.
How do I know my project's budget?
Managing budgets is always a challenge in building. However, we ease the stress of this by engaging the services of quantity surveyors to provide a detailed budget of all the costs for your project.
What drives our design philosophy?
Lewis Architecture believes warm, dry, light, lifestyle spaces enhance the owners quality of life. Our designs go beyond the minimum required of the NZ Building Standards to build quality, sustainable homes which will last for generations. We design using passive house principles, using simple forms with clean lines.